Additionally, these ratings are used to hold elected officials accountable for their campaign rhetoric since all too many candidates say things just to get elected. Our ratings of the Nevada Legislature help conservatives differentiate between what a candidate says on the campaign trail and how they actually vote once in office.
In reviewing bills, Citizen Outreach generally adopted the following version of the criteria used by the House Republican Study Committee to determine which bills to support or oppose in Congress.
1. Less Government – Does the bill reduce government regulations, the size of government, or eliminate entitlements or unnecessary programs?
2. Lower Taxes – Does the bill promote fiscal responsibility in spending or reduce taxes/fees?
3. Personal Responsibility – Does the bill encourage responsible behavior by individuals and families and encourage them to provide for their own health, safety, education and general welfare.
4. Individual Freedom – Does the bill increase opportunities for individuals or families to decide, without hindrance or coercion from government, how to conduct their own lives and make personal choices?
5. Stronger Families -Does the bill enhance the American family and its power to rear children without undue interference from the government?